Sunday, July 31, 2011

The World Book Night Reading List

Hi Everyone!

I found a new book list! You know how I love these things; they are a great inspiration for future reading. I stumbled upon this list when I followed a link in twitter posted by Neil Gaiman (@neilhimself on twitter).  He was asked to contribute a list of his top-ten books of all time for the 2012 World Book Night event.  What I found was a great ever-evolving list of books that readers of all walks of life love.

The list:  http://worldbooknight.org/your-books/the-wbn-top-100-books

As of this writing, I've read twenty-nine of the books on the list with ten of them being read during this project. I've read six of the top-ten, and eight of the top-twelve. However, this number might change as more people weigh in with their favorites. It is important to note that this list is again UK centric as that is where the organizer is based so there is a lot of overlap with the "BBC" list I posted earlier. 

The project associated with the list is interesting.  From the website:
The first World Book Night was held in the UK in the spring of 2011 and saw 20,000 people give away 1 million specially printed books - 40,000 copies of 25 brilliant titles.
This site exists in order to celebrate books and to connect readers with one another. You can learn more about World Book Night itself, the 2011 books and authors, and connect with other passionate readers.
And most importantly, you can help us shape World Book Night 2012 by telling us your ten favourite books - the books you most love to read, give and share - to give them a chance to be featured in next year's list. Simply sign up or login and tell us what books really matter to you.

Each copy of the book given out is a special edition.  The publishers ask that anyone who reads one of these special versions to send them a note so they can see how the books travel throughout their life.  It would be interesting to know if a project like this could take off in the US.

Anyway, take a gander and chime in if you feel like it.  I'm still compiling my top-ten books.  I will post in the comments when my list is complete.  If you have a list, please share it with me!

1 comment:

  1. Ian and I were out with friends at a pub in Ipswich on World Book Night this summer. We'd never heard of it, but noticed a young women walking around with stacks of books handing them out! At first we were suspicious - she must be wanting to sell something to us. But she was super friendly and told us all about the movement - we were so inspired! She then gave us a free copy of her book of choice!

    ReplyDelete