Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Welcome to the Olio Scholar Project

I was strolling around the twitter-sphere the other day when I found a link to the New York Review Books page.  More specifically, a person was taking a challenge to read 50 of the world classics from that list and 25 from the Oxford World Classics. IN ONE YEAR!

I like to read, but I don't do it very often.  I'm one of those who needs to know how many pages are left until the next chapter and how many are left in the book. I've always admired avid readers, wonder how they made time to read so many books, and how fast they must read to get it all done. I read about 4-5 books a year on average and I thought this sort of self challenge is what I needed to do to keep me motivated and turn me into an official avid reader (as recognized by the Active Reader's Guild)

My goal is to read 25 books in 1 year, starting from my birthday of this year.   That is almost a book every two weeks... I don't know if I will make it, but I will give the ol' college try.

As I read books, I will update this blog with my random thoughts from the book, maybe add quotes that I liked, etc... I don't quite know yet. I plan on reading a wide variety of books, from classics to science fiction/fantasy to mystery, to whatever piques my interest; actually, that is how I came up with the name of the blog:

From the Merriam-Webster Dictionary:

Definition of OLIO

2
a : a miscellaneous mixture : hodgepodgeb : a miscellaneous collection (as of literary or musical selections)

I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

2 comments:

  1. Is the Active Reader's Guild for real? I'm going to google it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it is real I so need to join. Do 100-150 books a year qualify for membership? If not I can add all the ones I read for work although children's books might not count :)

    ReplyDelete