Monday, October 11, 2010

The Classics and my Reading Queue

Several years ago I had a desire to start reading  many of the classic adventure books I was supposed to have read growing up, but never got around to it. (Dracula, Treasure Island, etc... ) After reading few of those, I wanted to grow up a bit and read more of the standard classics.  I took on some hefty titles, not finishing most of them.  I made it through part one of Henry James' Sons and Lovers, two-hundred pages of Jane Eyre, half-way through Catch-22. Most of the time, I put the book down one night and unforseen circumstances would keep me away for an extended period of time and I would have difficultly getting back into the story. 


My breakthrough novel was Crime and Punishment.  I LOVED that book and it renewed my interest in reading the classics.  Since then I've finished Catch-22 and plan on tackling Jane Eyre again.   I don't think Sons and Lovers will make it back onto my queue anytime soon, but weirder things have happened.


Many books I read during this project will fit into the "classic" category; my desire hasn't waned a bit for the great ones, but I plan to read more newly acclaimed fiction, classic childhood adveture novels, a touch of  easy beach/plane/silly reads, and a few non-fiction historical type books.

I've been overwhelmed with book recommendations from people as I mention this project.  I love it; please keep it coming.

Jason




No comments:

Post a Comment